In the mountains, whatever the season, the weather can change very fast from the worst to the best and vice-versa. It may snow, hail; be -10 degrees above 2000m… it may also be more than 30 degrees!
(Extract of Regulations)
Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc® - Eléments par UltraTrailMontBlanc
Obligatory material :
|mobile phone with option enabling its use in the three countries
(put in one’s repertoire the security numbers of the organisation, keep it switched on, do not hide one’s number and do not forget to set off with recharged batteries)
|personal cup or tumbler 15cl minimum (water bottle not acceptable)||OBLIGATORY|
|stock of water minimum 1 litre||OBLIGATORY|
|two torches in good working condition with replacement batteries||
|survival blanket 1.40m x 2m minimum||OBLIGATORY|
|adhesive elastic band enable making a bandage or a strapping (mini 100cm x 6 cm)||OBLIGATORY|
|Jacket, with a hood, capable of withstanding the bad mountain weather and made with a waterproof (minimum recommended: 10 000 Schmerber) and breathable (RET recommended less than 13) membrane (Gore-Tex or similar) *
|long running trousers or leggings or a combination of leggings and long socks which cover the legs completely||OBLIGATORY|
|Additional warm midlayer top: One single midlayer long sleeve top for warmth (cotton excluded) with a minimum weight of 180g (Men, size M)
OR a two piece clothing combination of a long sleeve baselayer/midlayer for warmth (cotton excluded) with a minimum weight of 110g (Men, size M) and a windproof jacket** with DWR (Durable Water Repellent) protection
in the case
|cap or bandana||OBLIGATORY|
|warm and waterproof gloves||OBLIGATORY|
* - the jacket must, imperatively, have an integral hood or one which is attachable by a system made for that effect by the manufacturer.
- all seams must be taped/sealed.
- the jacket must not have sections composed of fabric which is not waterproof, but the air vents (under the arm, across the back), which do not appear to affect the waterproof-ness of the garment are accepted.
It is the runner's responsibility, according to these criteria, whether their jacket fits the regulations and therefore bad weather in the mountains, but, when controlled, the judgement will be made by the person responsible for the control or the race steward.
* The windproof jacket does not replace the mandatory waterproof jacket with hood
Required by the frontier police forces :
- identity papers
Very strongly recommended :
- Knife or scissors with which to cut the self-adhesive elasticised bandage
- walking poles for security on slippery ground in case of rain or snow
- a change of warm clothes indispensable in the case of cold weather, rain or injury
- the sum of 20 € minimum (in order to cover the unexpected....)
Advised (list not definitive) :
Telescopic sticks, change of clothing, compass, knife, string, sun cream, Vaseline or anti-chaffing cream, needle and thread,...
All clothing must be the runner’s size and without alteration since leaving the factory.
You will carry this material in a pack which must be tagged at the race-bib distribution and is not exchangeable during the race.
If you decide to use poles, you must keep them throughout the whole of the race… It is forbidden to start without sticks and recover them up along the way.
No poles will be allowed in the spare’s bags.
For all your questions concerning obligatory equipment consult the FAQs