Action concerning health matters
An idea which frequently circulates amongst runners of endurance courses: we won’t be affected by performance enhancing drugs (doping). By what happy miracle? Everything like the protection of our environment or the respect of regulations, the question of using banned products doesn’t concern oneself, and hides other causes be it media attention of a discipline, money or ability. To conserve the spirit of our race and it’s authenticity we have, for several years, taken action to check the regulation and prevention ,to reassure both us and you that our races are run both equitably and ethically. A modest contribution, engaged in by the runners and for the runners, with vigilance, so that our sport remains clean and that everything functions correctly.
The organisation has decided upon the implementation of an internal action concerning health during the 2011 events of The North Face® Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc®.
This action has neither the aim nor competence to substitute itself in the place of the current national and international regulations in the anti-doping fight but has for its objective a strengthened medical supervision wished for by the organisation. This action is led by the organisation’s internal Medical Counsel, consisting of doctors, who are able to take the opinions of the experts of its choice and who will be asked to express a consultative opinion to the race Jury on the medical state of the participants.
Each runner agrees to:
- Inform the Organisation’s medical Counsel in the case of the usage of prescriptive drugs under the Authorization of Usage for Therapeutic purposes (AUT).
Click here to download the AUT declaration form.
Actually, sportsmen, like anybody, can fall ill or present conditions which require the usage of certain medicines. If it turns out that a substance to which a sportsman has to resort to treat their condition is included in of the List of banned medicines, an authorization of usage for therapeutic purposes can allow them to take the necessary medication. Click here for more information: http://www.wada-ama.org/fr/Science-et-medecine/AUT/
This information is to be given from the day of the registration in case of an AUT requested or obtained beforehand. Otherwise, it must be made at the latest the 8th day following the request for an AUT and definitely before the start of the race.
- To agree to give any urinary and/or blood, and/or capillary samples and associated analyses requested by the Organisation’s Medical Counsel, with the understanding that expenses incurred for the realization of these samples and the associated analyses are the direct responsibility of the Organisation.
- To agree to answer to any summons which the Medical Counsel issues on the basis of the information which has been collected from them, so as to decide upon their capacity, or not, to participate in the race for which they are registered. At the conclusion of the interview, the Medical Counsel can propose, to the Race Jury, that the runner is excluded from the race.
Authorised and unadvised medicines
The anti-doping legislation being extremely complex, very often makes it difficult to find one's way around it. Every month, new medicines and nutritional products are launched on the market which may contain forbidden substances. Furthermore, a lot of you come from far away and are not maybe used to the medicines sold on the French soil. When you consume a product, whatever it is, we would like remind you that your responsibility is systematically engaged.
Thanks to unique identifiers, the access to the database application of SPORT Protect will allow you to know immediately which are authorised medicines, and which are unadvised in regard to the anti-doping legislation. You can look after yourselves serenely and avoid taking any medicine which, even if it is of common usage, can contain a forbidden substance. You can also take supplements without risk by finding all the references corresponding to the NF anti-doping standard V94-001 guaranteed by third party and an independent program of certification SPORT Protect.
The SPORT Protect application is freely accessible via the site www.sport-protect.fr and can equally be down-loaded on to your iPhone.
You will find here a tutorial on how to use the application.
The connection codes are :
- login : ultratrail
- password : ultratrail 2012
It will be de-activated one week after the events.
For all other relevant information concerning the procedures of AUT and a list of banned substances we suggest that you consult the following :
- Le site de l’Agence Mondiale Antidopage (AMA) : http://www.wada-ama.org/fr/
- Le site de l’Agence Française de Lutte contre le Dopage (AFLD) : http://www.afld.fr/
- Prévention du dopage : http://www.dopage.com/
- Wall Protect (http://www.wall-protect.com): label antidopage pour compléments alimentaires
- Numéro vert national Ecoute dopage : 0800 15 2000
Athletes For Transparency
Founded by two high class tri-athletes, Cédric Fleureton and Christophe Bastie, the concept of Athletes For Transparency (AFT) was born in the middle of 2004. The principle: to propose to athletes wishing to announce their transparency to submit certain analyses and have their results diffused by internet. At the beginning of 2007, the research programme AFT was officially launched in France and the number of world class and/or Olympic athletes signed up. In May 2008, this programme was officially tested internationally. The end of this research programme on January 1st 2009 coincided with the exploitation of the technical results in the official framework of the fight against performance enhancing drugs (software package SAMM).