Let us reduce our rubbish
The Ultra-Trail®, organisation pioneer for concrete action in favour of environmental protection
In 2005, we inaugurated the idea of giving runners a pouch in which to transport all rubbish, papers, wrappers etc. to the following refreshment post. This action still exists in order to underline the importance, to the runners, of not throwing rubbish away in the countryside; it is and has been financed by POLARTEC® for several years.
To limit the use of disposable beakers we have insisted,
since 2008, that each participant has their own goblet.
This allows use to eliminate disposable beakers on ¾ of the race route
= around 100 000 fewer disposable beakers!
Sachet for soiled paper
No paper handkerchiefs, no soiled toilet paper along the race route. Each runner will receive, along with his race-bib, 3 plastic bags in which to transport their soiled tissues and toilet paper to the next rubbish-bin !
- All your rubbish during the race must be put in to the small pouch financed by Polartec®, which will be given to you with your race-bib; don’t forget to empty it periodically in the rubbish bins provided for this at the refreshment posts.
- At the exit of each refreshment post you will find rubbish bins with signs indicating "last rubbish bin before the next refreshment post".
- Prioritise the use of toilets which are organised along the route. In case of emergencies, do not leave soiled toilet paper along the route. Think: use one of the small plastic bags which you will be given with your race bib.
- In preference use rechargeable batteries and if it is not possible, do not abandon your worn batteries: special containers will be at your disposal at the refreshment posts
- Use the selective recycling bins provided for you whenever possible.
A preference for the "reusable"
Where ever possible, we shall serve the meals using washable crockery.
Preference for local resources
In a region where spring water abounds, we prefer to use, where ever possible, “tap water". It allows a saving of more than 8,000 plastic bottles and their transportation.
The food present at the refreshment posts is bought locally (cheese, cold meats) to avoid unnecessary transportation and to involve local producers.
Year long activities
Optimal use of the Internet
- Guide, route maps, forms (bill, medical certificate, Pass Ultra-Trail®...), are downloadable from each runner’s individual runner’s page...
- Video conferencing is used for meetings as often as possible all year round to avoid journeys. It makes serious savings on travel and… time!